The most common side effect to whitening, is sensitivity. During the whitening process, the enamel becomes more porous, allowing the stains to lift out. Unfortunately, this also makes the teeth more sensitive to cold.
If your teeth do become sensitive, try one of the following options:
• Decrease the amount of time you are wearing the trays to only an hour, or less if necessary.
• Decrease the amount of gel in your trays. You may be using too much.
• Use a desensitizing tooth paste.
• Stop whitening for a few days.
Sensitivity will go away once you stop treatment. You can resume treatment as desired, depending on your level of sensitivity.
The Proper Way To Use A Desensitizing Toothpaste:
Brush the tooth paste on your teeth, and DO NOT rinse with water or mouth wash afterward. Brush it on and leave it in contact with your teeth. Water will wash away all of the properties that help to desensitize your teeth.
We recommend using Sensodyne, or Colgate Sensitive Enamel Protect.
Keeping Your Smile White:
For 48 hours after you have whitened your smile, you must be careful of what you eat and drink.
AVOID staining foods or liquids. If you imagine dropping it on a white t-shirt and it leaves a mark, DON’T PUT IT IN YOUR MOUTH. Your teeth need time to re-mineralize after whitening. They will stain very easily the first few days after whitening. A light colored diet is recommended.
Here is a sample list of Beverages and Foods to avoid: Dark Colored Soda, Tea, Coffee, Red Wine, Fruit Juices, Ketchup, Berries, Soy Sauce, Spaghetti Sauce, Beets, BBQ Sauce.
DO NOT SMOKE. The nicotine and tar in cigarettes will badly stain your new white teeth. DO NOT SMOKE for 48 hours after bleaching.
At Home Whitening Instructions:
Whitening your teeth at home is simple. Whitening gel should be refrigerated. This extends the shelf life. Remove your whitening gel from the refrigerator one hour prior to use.
Follow these simple steps:
- Brush and Floss your teeth.
- Place a small amount of whitening gel on the cheek side of each tooth that is to be whitened. Note: ONLY NATURAL TOOTH STRUCTURES WILL LIGHTEN.
- Tooth colored fillings and porcelain and metal crowns or fillings will not lighten.
- Wear trays according to manufacturers instructions for the length of time recommended.
- Length of time is typically 1-3 hours. DO NOT wear trays over night.
- Once trays are removed, Brush and Floss again.
- Rinse trays with cool water and mild hand soap. Dry and store in the provided container.
- Keep trays away from children and pets. Do not store in a warm place.
The information provided here should not be used during a medical or dental emergency, or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. Always consult with your medical or dental professional. More information in this subject can be found at: www.ada.org